WILD SWEET MOUNTAIN RETREAT is 3 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway and 15 miles N of Asheville. A tranquil, quiet, woodland retreat filled with wildlife, birds, organic food gardens, honeybees, well-loved land, and good water … where you can be at peace, relax, slow down, and breathe the mountain air. Perfect for nature lovers, artists, writers, hikers, and people who want to renew in a safe, peaceful setting.
This cozy private guest suite on the ground level of our home has a comfortable queen-sized bed, en-suite bath (tub, shower, toilet), and sitting area with free wifi. The kitchenette has a coffee maker (and coffee, filters, cream, sugar), electric tea kettle (and a selection of teas), microwave and compact fridge. Private outside sitting area, protected from rain and sun, for relaxing with a cool drink or your morning coffee or tea.
We are very convenient to the Blue Ridge Parkway, Mountains-to-the-Sea Trail and many hiking trails; Craggy Gardens and Mount Mitchell; mountain biking trails (especially the Bent Creek area); tubing and rafting on the French Broad River; the Biltmore Estate; The Folk Art Center; the NC Arboretum; and many scenic places. In the fall, many come to view the astonishing mountain landscapes with brightly colored trees (late September – October). This region is a paradise for hikers, tree and plant lovers (including medicinal plants and mushrooms), birders, and viewing wild life.
A little further afield you might enjoy Little Cataloochie (synchronous fireflies in the spring; elk rutting season and magical baying in the fall); the Great Smoky Mountains National Park; Hot Springs; The Appalachian Trail; Pisgah National Forest; waterfalls (Brevard); the Carl Sandburg Home; and Cherokee.
Nearby Asheville is well known for its world class arts & crafts, music, foodie and brewing scene. Also convenient to local artists who teach various arts and crafts (inquire for more information), a thriving yoga class & retreat scene, and many arts and music festivals across the year.
Thank you for considering Wild Sweet Mountain Retreat for your upcoming trip. My husband Joe and I feel deeply fortunate to live here and share this beautiful place with you. We are well traveled and have many friends from India, Turkey, the UK, and other places come to visit us. We welcome people from everywhere in the world. We look forward to meeting you.
You will have a private guest suite with its own access, sitting area outside it, steps leading to it and parking. If you would enjoy a tour of the food gardens (growing areas, hoop houses, compost, young orchard) and / or bee hives, please contact us ahead of time. Also, we have a third of a mile well-maintained gravel driveway. For clear helpful guidance on driving up our hill to your space, please see the OTHER THINGS TO NOTE section (below).
OTHER THINGS TO NOTE TO MAKE YOUR STAY MORE ENJOYABLE
• Our cell carrier, Verizon, is the most dependable service here in the mountains.
• We are beekeepers and have a modest number of hives (right now it is four). The hives are away from the guest space and surrounded by well-marked electric fences (so they are safe from bears and raccoons).
• Depending on the season, you may see wild turkeys, lizards, all manner of birds, and the occasional bear.
• It is important not to leave food in your private outside sitting area or in your car, especially with the windows down, so as to not attract inquisitive night-time wildlife.
• It is important to keep your door closed once you enter the space and when you leave the space for your local adventures. This keeps the inside temperature comfortable. There is a fan if you prefer an even cooler space and a radiant heat, portable oil radiator for the colder times. We have plenty of quilts, blankets, duvets, and extra pillows for your added sleeping comfort.
• If you have particular interests and want some recommendations about where to explore and what to do in this area, please let us know.
• We provide you with a free copy of our weekly newspaper, The Mountain Xpress, which covers the news, arts and events in Asheville and Western North Carolina.
• No candles, open flames or smoking in the guest suite; no parties (thank you).
• An electric tea kettle, tea, coffee maker, coffee, cream and sugar are provided. Taking in nature from your private sitting area with your favorite morning drink is a great way to start your day. For guests staying for a week or longer, we will also provide a toaster oven and blender.
• We have taken special care in soundproofing the guest suite so that you can relax into the privacy of the space.
• We would appreciate you taking your shoes off once you have settled into the suite.
• We retire around 10:30 pm and are early risers. Feel free to maintain your own hours. We will be quiet in the morning and would ask that you are quiet-ish after 11 pm. And know that your space is well soundproofed, so you can feel free to talk on your phone or use the internet at any hour.
• HOW TO DRIVE UP OUR DRIVEWAY: You will need a car to get here. Our well-maintained driveway is on an incline, about a third of a mile long (no hair pin turns). Four-wheel, all-wheel and front wheel drive are helpful. But rear wheel drive is also fine (people visit us all the time with rear wheel and one of our vehicles is the same). Slow and steady will get you there. When guests book, we provide a short video of how we drive up the road so you can see what to expect and how easy it is. This is helpful for driving on any of the dirt or gravel mountain roads in our area. There are clear signs with a spiral shape directing you right up the hill to your destination (the photo section shows you a sample of a spiral sign). Private parking is available in front of the stone steps that lead up to your private suit and outside sitting area. A key box and lock are also there. Call us ahead of time and let us know when you are arriving. We will be there to greet you.
• DURING SNOW SEASON you may need a 4 WHEEL DRIVE to navigate the driveway.
• NOTE: This guest suite is in a woodland and mountain retreat setting, surrounded by the natural world. It is vibrant, beautiful and alive. Despite our very best efforts and vigilance, including up to the hour before you arrive, we still get the occasional spider web and visits from beings like crickets and grasshoppers in our living spaces. If you are not comfortable with this, we are not a good match for you. We want everyone to be happy.Get the full listing »