A stunning, thatched house in a picture postcard setting that has real 'wow' factor! The house has been extended and completely modernised to a luxury standard, without losing any of its original charm. It is located in the heart of the highly sought after village of West Wittering, in a beautiful private estate, a mere 7 minute walk from one of the most popular sandy beaches in southern England, a mecca for watersport enthusiasts. The house boosts a beautiful country garden that is maintained on a weekly basis by a local gardener. The house and garden enjoy enormous privacy secluded by a large mature hedge. There is car parking for 4 cars, however, please note that there should be no parking on the verge outside the property, cars can be clamped if left here. The heart of the house is the hugely stylish farmhouse style kitchen. Sorry no pets.
Head south down the A3 and turn left onto the A27 (east) – signposted to Brighton, Hayling Island) to Chichester.
After 8 or so miles on the A 27 you come to a roundabout. The posted route points you straight on to a second roundabout, about half a mile further on, from where you turn right to the Witterings. On most days this works fine. The better route however is to turn right at this first roundabout, signposted to Fishbourne / Bosham. After about 200m take the first left, posted to Apuldram / Dell Quay.
Stay on this road for a mile and a half until you get to a T junction; go left here and then immediately right onto the main road.
After half a mile you go past Chichester Marina. Just keep going straight down this road for three or so miles until you get to a mini roundabout at Birdham, right next to the petrol station. Take the right turning to West Wittering.
Drive through West Wittering and pass the pub – ‘The Old House at Home’ – which will be on your left.
Take a left turn after approx. 200 yards. This is Seaward Drive.
Cobbler’s Barn is the last cottage on the left before the roundabout. It has a big cedar tree in the garden and a bushy thatched roof!
Heavy traffic (we are talking peak season when it is grid locked!)
There are a number of useful ‘bail out’ points if the traffic is heavy, which will bring you in via the back routes. These are as follows:
1. At Chichester Marina, if the traffic backed up take the left turn signposted Sidlesham / Donnington. Go to Sidlesham, then follow signs to Bracklesham / East Wittering. This road takes you through East Wittering and into West Wittering from the back, missing the horrendous queues for the beach car park. Half a mile past East Wittering the road bends right at the stables/tower, then 300m later takes a sharp left at the beginning of the houses. Take the next immediate right into the Wells Farm Estate. Go left at the first roundabout and straight over at the second. Cobblers Barn is then immediately on your right.
2. A mile or so past Chichester Marina is another main left turn, signposted Sidlesham / Almodington. Go to Sidlesham and follow directions as above.
3. At the Birdham mini-roundabout, take the left turn signposted Bracklesham / East Wittering, then as above. This is highly recommended, if there’s any traffic at all on the road. It takes you in round the back, missing the final few miles of tail-back traffic to West Wittering beach.
4. If you got cocky and took the West Wittering turn at the roundabout, there’s another chance to bail about a mile or so down the road. At the point you see signs to Itchenor on your right, there’s a road left called ‘Piggery Hall Road.’ It’ll take you straight into East Wittering.
5. Your final chance to beat the traffic comes a half mile further. Approx. 100m after the ‘West Wittering’ village sign there’s a left turn called ‘Chapel Lane.’ After a mile and a half it’ll bring you out into West Wittering; turn left then pass the ‘Old House at Home’ pub.Get the full listing »