* Minimum stays vary so please contact owner to confirm minimum stay for your preferred dates.
* Ask about discounts for less than 8 people - or more than 3 nights!
Overlooking England’s highest village, the Old School House offers panoramic views over the stunning rural landscape of the North Pennines. It is an ideal place for a relaxing yet invigorating escape from the daily routine.
The west wing of the Victorian schoolhouse, originally used as a classroom and library, has recently been refurbished to provide spacious, self-contained, accommodation for visitors. It is a beautiful space which includes an open-plan living area with high ceilings, a wood-burning stove, big comfortable sofas and a long dining table with a fitted oak kitchen.
Since summer 2012 we have had a number of delighted visitors including groups of friends and families, artists, writers and poetry groups, musicians, film makers, photographers, and cyclists on the coast to coast route.
An on-site observatory (North Pennines Observatory) is now open for guests to explore one of the country's best dark sky areas for stargazing. Additional charges and pre-booking for this are required. Please contact us for more details.
The property has been listed in the September 2016 edition of The Guardian’s top places to stay in the UK over Christmas and New Year.
“I’m not looking forward to going back to the real world, this has been an amazing place to stay.”
- Ditte Elly, Newcastle
“It would be hard to find a place more rural and remote, yet on the inside it has the feel of a New York studio loft.”
- Elaine Williams, The Guardian.
The village of Allenheads has a friendly pub, a café serving delicious home-made food, a small shop, Heritage Centre and Nature Trail.
For anyone wanting to tour the North of England and Scottish Borders the Old School House in Allenheads is the perfect location, and only about one hour’s drive from the A1 or M1.
At 1350 feet it is England's highest village and situated within a designated area of outstanding natural beauty (AONB).
It is also located in an area with some of the best Dark Sky Discover Sites in the UK and we the North Pennines Observatory at ACA is located on our premises. Star gazing equipment and telescopes are available for use before or after the completion date to give you direct access to these nationally acclaimed skies. Additional charges may apply for tuition and access to the large telescopes. Pre-booking is required.
Allenheads is just over an hour's drive from the nearest cities of Newcastle upon Tyne, Durham, Sunderland, Middlesborough and Carlisle, but it feels a world apart within the rolling North Pennine hills.
Facilities at the Old School House include:
Large open-plan area:
- Fitted kitchen with solid oak doors. Integrated dishwasher (please bring dishwasher tablets and washing up liquid), fridge-freezer, built-in oven and ceramic hob. Cutlery, crockery and glassware (including wine glasses and champagne flutes) for 12 people. Pots, pans and utensils etc.,
- Sturdy, solid oak dining table extending to fit up to 12 dining chairs,
- 3 leather sofas.
- 2 twin or double bedrooms
- 2 bunk rooms with 4 beds in each
- all bedding is provided
* Please let us know in advance which bedroom layout you require in the twin or double rooms
- 2 bathrooms with 1 toilet cubicle, 1 shower cubicle and 2 sinks in each.
- please bring towels, toiletries and toilet paper.
- Central heating throughout.
- Additional portable oil filled radiators in bedrooms if required.
- Coal & log burning stove in main open-plan room for extra comfort.
- Electric instantly heated showers.
- Lock up room for bikes.
- Clothes washing machine, tumble dryer and clothes airer.
Other rooms and equipment for leisure or professional use:
- East wing: large classroom (8 x 8 metres) for meetings, conferences, workshops, performances or exhibitions with; big screen projection, surround sound speakers, window blackouts, slide projector, overhead projector, laptop & DVD player.
- Full size table tennis table.
- North Pennines Observatory @ ACA **from spring 2017** (extra charges will apply)
- I.T and admin services such as copying, scanning, printing.
(May incur extra cost)
In the village, in the former village Post Office and Shop, a versatile venue of approximately 7 x 4 metres can also be made available for meetings, workshops, presentations and exhibitions.
Well behaved dogs are welcome at a surcharge of £10. Please dispose of any waste properly and remove fallen fur.
Please let us know your eta and the number of cars you will arrive in for parking.
Check in is from 4pm and check out is before 11am.Get the full listing »