The Old Baptist Chapel was converted to residential use in 2009. On the ground floor, there is a large open plan lounge area with 18 feet high ceilings and beautiful original arched windows.
The open plan kitchen, adjoining the lounge, has a square eat in table that sits eight people and is well equipped. As well as an oven, hob, microwave, a fridge freezer and a small fridge there is a nespresso machine, toaster and all of the necessary cooking utensils, plates and glasses that you will need. The utility room, at the back of the kitchen, has a combined washing machine / tumble dryer that you can use.
There is also a small office on the ground floor, which has been converted to a small tv room that is ideal for children. There is also a guest toilet on this floor.
The master bedroom, with a large and elegant en suite, is on the basement level down a slightly steep, winding staircase. The en suite has a comfortable standalone shower and a delightful roll top bath. The master bedroom has a queen size bed.
Upstairs are two small bedrooms, both en-suites, with double beds and smaller arched windows. The second bedroom has a small en-suite shower room. The third bedroom, which is slightly larger, has an en-suite with a bath and shower over.
The small garden, with an outdoor table and six chairs, is off of the landing to the first floor and at the back of the Chapel. It has a decked area and a small area that is gravelled. The garden is suitable for early morning cups of tea (it gets the sun early in the day) or a pleasant meal outside. It is however quite small and suitable for lounging around rather than children playing games.
We bought the Old Baptist Chapel in 2016. Sean’s family have lived in Stogumber for around 300 years. Laura is from Wisconsin in the USA. They have spent most of their careers in Hong Kong and China. The Old Baptist Chapel is their family holiday home and is available for rental for a few weeks a year.
As Sean and Laura live overseas, The Old Baptist Chapel is managed by Jim and Debbie who live next door, across the courtyard, just a few yards away.
Stogumber is a quiet, picturesque but thriving village set in a valley between the Quantock and Brendon Hills in West Somerset. With a population of approximately 600, the main enterprise is agriculture and the village is surrounded by rolling farmland. The focal point of the village is the Square, which contains an old fashioned pub, The White Horse, http://www.whitehorsestogumber.co.uk. the Village shop and post office and St. Mary's Church, a large Norman church with an interesting William Morris style ceiling. The High Street, leading up to the Square, is the most photographed part of the village, with a mix of colour-washed and thatched properties. The Village has a primary school and a cricket club and an annual arts and music festival. http://www.stogumberfestival.com. The West Somerset Steam Railway stops at Stogumber station and runs to Minehead, with several stops in between.
Stogumber is around 14 miles (less than 30 minutes drive) from both Taunton and Minehead and is 7 miles (15 minutes) from Watchet and 9 miles (20 minutes from Blue Anchor). The main shopping facilities nearby are in Taunton (which also has a cinema, swimming pool, Somerset County Cricket Ground) and Minehead (which has a theatre, sandy beach and a pleasant park. Williton, around three miles away, has smaller supermarkets, a few restaurants and a Lloyd’s bank. There is horse riding available on the Quantocks around 15 minutes away and there are numerous local pubs within a few miles of Stogumber. The South West Coastal Path can be reached within 15 minutes.
The History of The Old Baptist Chapel
The Old Baptist Chapel is more than 150 years old having been built in 1868. The site was originally endowed for Baptist purposes in 1690, a year after non conformists were allowed more freedom under the reign of William and Mary. A wooden Chapel was built on the site in 1729.
At one stage, Stogumber's Baptist Chapel was the senior church of all Exmoor's Baptists and is one of the few in England with a continuous history from the earliest days of the movement.
The Chapel became redundant in 1990 when the part time pastor and his family left the village. In 1993 Stogumber Arts purchased the building and renovated it as an arts centre. It was converted for residential use on 2009.Get the full listing »