Situated on the south edge of the village of Kintbury in the North Wessex Downs The Annex is a comfortable self-contained first floor apartment with its own private entrance via stairs at the end of the main house. The apartment has an open plan living area comprising of kitchen, dining and lounge area. Furnished and decorated to a high standard. The double bedroom has an en-suite shower room. There is a small outside seating area to sit and enjoy the views across the countryside at the back of the property on sunny days.
The apartment makes an ideal base to explore Berkshire, Hampshire, Oxfordshire and Wiltshire either for a weekend or a week or two.
The kitchen is stocked with all the utensils you would need for your self-catering stay including electric cooker, microwave, fridge, kettle, toaster and washing machine. The dinning area has a table which seats two comfortably. A sofa provides comfortable seating for evenings in front of the TV with integral DVD player and free view. Free wi-fi access is available. The bedroom has a double bed, bedside tables, dressing table and wardrobe. There is a hairdryer and all bed linen and towels are provided. Unfortunately there is no disabled access.
We provide a welcome pack of tea, coffee, milk, bread and wine on arrival; if our chickens are laying eggs too.
The apartment is part of the main house so the owners are on site if any problems occur but will otherwise we will leave you to enjoy your stay in private. There is off street parking for one car.
Kintbury has its own railway station with a regular service to London Paddington. By changing trains at Newbury or Reading we are within easy reach of the rest of the country. The apartment is a 20 minute walk from the station on the south side of the village.
The village has several amenities; shop, post office, butchers, bakers 2 days a week, 3 pubs, hair dressers and beauticians.
We are ideally located for walking, cycling, going to Newbury races or just visiting the surrounding area. Below are a few suggestions:
Within 1 - 1.5 hours:
• Kennet and Avon Canal – flows from Reading to Bristol through Kintbury. Along its course there are the Crofton Beam engines near Great Bedwin, Cairn lock ladder at Devizes. The city of Bath.
• Warbury Hill – with its Iron Age fort, Bronze Age burial mound and Combe gibbet the site of local hangings.
• Hungerford – with its cafes, restaurants, pubs and antique shops.
• Newbury – with its museum, cafes, pubs, shopping race course and market.
• Avebury – UNESCO World Heritage site with its Neolithic stone circle, burial mounds and Silbury Hill.
• Stonehenge – Near Amesbury, Wiltshire – world Heritage site, prehistoric stone circle.
• Salisbury – with its cathedral
• Oxford – with its university buildings, castle.
• The Cotswolds – Cheltenham, Bourton on Water, Cirencester.
• Highclere Castle – home of Downton Abbey
• Thatcham Nature Discovery centre.
• Whitchurch Silk Mill
• The coast – Portsmouth, Southampton
There are numerous local walks some where you can leave the car at home and others a short journey away. These can be found on the internet or we have a few available in the apartment where we supply a map and instructions for your use. They incorporate our local villages and the Kennet and Avon Canal.
Off road routes can be found on the internet but our lanes are rural and quite so you can devise your own using the map in the apartment. The canal path is cycle friendly. We are directly situated on national cycle route 246 (Kintbury to Timsbury Hampshire). Cycle route 4 (Fishguard to Greenwich) passes through the village center. We can provide shelter for cycles.
We look forward to ensuring your stay is a good one.Get the full listing »