Villa Montagna, an exquisite private estate is nestled on 40 acres high in the vineyard-covered mountains overlooking Sonoma Valleyt is available for short- or long-term vacation rentals. Its gated, hillside location just a mile and a half up Cavedale Road—one of Sonoma’s most exclusive addresses—affords easy access to both Sonoma and Glen Ellen. The property offers spectacular panoramic views of the surrounding vineyards, the Valley of the Moon, and as far south as San Francisco. Forty miles from the Golden Gate Bridge, the five-bedroom compound is designed in the Neo-classical style, and with its three separate houses, is ideally suited for a family of up to 8, or 4 couples.
The main house with its columns, curved terrace, balconies, stone floors with radiant in-floor heating and Palladian interior architecture, won the Sonoma League for Historic Preservation's top design award for new construction in 1991 .It has three bedrooms and two and a half baths, as well as a sunny cooks’ kitchen, open-plan living- and dining-room with 20-foot ceilings and stone fireplace, and media room. The veranda, accessed by French doors, runs along the south side of the house, allowing for gracious indoor-outdoor living. Each bedroom (1 king, 2 queens) has its own flat-screen TVand satellite receiver. Two of the three bedrooms have private, south-facing verandas, with views of vineyards, the valley, and San Francisco beyond. The third offers views of the Mayacama Mountains.
Additional amenities: luxurious bedding, guest robes, gas barbecue, bocce ball, private walking paths, CD and DVD player, satellite TV with DVR, wireless internet, air-conditioning, and alarm system.
The grounds are a mix of lovely Mediterranean gardens, meadows, and groves of fragrant Bay and Oak trees. You can pick your own lavender, rosemary, lemons, and oranges just outside the kitchen door, and the formal plaza, with its two-tier stone fountain, is perfect for entertaining.
The stylish cabana, pool, and spa are located just steps from the main villa, yet remain private behind a wrought-iron gate and stone walls. The heated pool offers both a terraced lounge area, as well as a lap pool and fountains. The adjacent spa can be heated to your desired temperature. Cushioned chaise lounges on the shaded terrace provide sweeping vistas of the valley below. The cabana offers a full bath, sitting area, flat-screen TV, stereo system, and continental kitchen.
Villa Montagna offers the best of California wine country: It's an easy ten-minute drive from the fine restaurants, boutiques, spas, and tasting rooms in Sonoma and Glen Ellen, but its serene hillside location makes you feel as though you're a world away. The closest wineries are located five-minutes by car down the hill, at Moon Mountain, and Mayo vineyards—all with lovely gardens and grounds. Oak Hill Farm, a charming country market where you can buy seasonal organic produce and fresh-cut flowers, is also just minutes away at the bottom of the hill. Guided vineyard tram tours are available at the renowned Benziger Family Winery in Glen Ellen. A scenic 30-minute drive over Trinity Pass from Cavedale Road provides easy access to the Napa Valley, St. Helena and Oakville. There are three state parks for hiking within 20 minutes of the villa. Bodega Bay and the Sonoma County coastline are an hour’s drive west.
Our top 11 favorite things to do in Sonoma
1. Go tasting at a new winery each day; some of our favorites include Gundlach Bunschu , Bartholomew Park and Imagery.
2. Stock up on picnic supplies at the Glen Ellen Market for a hike to the summit of Sugarloaf Peak in Sugarloaf Ridge State Park
3. Explore the grounds of Jack London’s estate in Jack London State Park
4. Drive to Bodega Bay, stopping for fresh-baked cinnamon buns at the Wild Flour Bread Bakery in Freestone
5. Indulge in five-star pampering at Fairmont Mission Sonoma Spa
6. Sample local Marin County oysters at the Martini Oyster Bar, just off the Sonoma Plaza
7. Rent bikes at Sonoma Valley Cyclery and explore downtown Sonoma and its wineries
8. Wander the Sonoma Plaza, stopping for drinks or dinner at the renowned Girl & the Fig Restaurant
9. Drive north to Healdsburg (45 minutes) and explore the shops and tasting rooms in this chic northern Sonoma town
10. Burn off your wine tasting and fine dining with a walk up Cavedale Road, then relax by the pool
11. Wander the garden exhibits and shop for architectural antiques at Cornerstone Gardens in Sonoma
Villa Montagna is located in southern Sonoma County, just an hour’s drive from downtown San Francisco and Fisherman’s Wharf. Oakland International Airport is 46 miles away; San Francisco International, 62 miles.
Keywords: HouseGet the full listing »