• CASA LOPO • houses the refurbished living quarters of an abandoned farm where the ‘old’ and the ‘new’ shake hands. The farmhouse is situated in the pastoral village of Vale, directly at the feet of the Carpathian Mountains. On the one hand, far away from the pulse of time, on the other hand just around the corner from Sibiu, the European Capital of Culture 2007. A good choice for enthusiast of special places who want to add a pinch of Romanian serenity to their live experience, and ideal for families looking for a child-friendly countryside retreat.
The village is nestled between the wooded mountains overlooking the Transylvanian plain - in an absolutely peaceful spot with no through traffic. After a short walk you already find yourself in the oldest beech forest on the continent and will experience a unique flora and fauna on your way up to the mountain meadows. Alternatively, benefit from our central location in the heart of Romania and explore sights and trips in all directions.
We are no trained tourism experts. We live in Vale and have joined together in a small and family-type construction company, with which we worked on several holiday homes. Without hurry, but with attention to detail and respect towards the traditional style of the area, as well as with a view to modern building materials and contemporary housing needs. The result are two sophisticated villas, a shepherd's hut in the mountain meadows and two former farms that received a complete overhaul. Today we can offer you an encounter of different ages and cultures in seven oases of wellbeing, each of them with their own flair, distinctive and special in a place which – we hope – will be sidestepped by the world's hustle for a long time to come.
Our other cottages you can find also on Homeaway or briefly presented below.
••• Casa Lopo •••.
... is our latest project with a perceptible cosy atmosphere in the courtyard. The farmhouse offers two rooms, a new bathroom, and a fully equipped kitchen for self catering - ideal for families looking for a child-friendly countryside retreat.
The farm currently gets a makeover. We repair and dedicate ourselves patiently to details that sometimes wake up from decades of deep sleep. We will preserve the original historic charm as best possible, at the same time providing the minimum of convenience that can be expected even in a traditional holiday farmhouse set in a place where hedgehogs and donkeys cross their paths.
The property consists of the dwelling quarters (a plastered wooden house with 3 rooms), a barn with a back garden, a terrace, and a not yet finished annex - perfect for young people not wishing to encroach on their parents’ space.
The house is entered through the outer hallway and the kitchen between the two rooms. It is fully equipped for self-catering with a gas stove, refrigerator, water cooker, toaster, coffee and espresso machine and, of course, plenty of dishes, spices, detergents, soaps, and other consumables. Since it was a bit dark, we gave the kitchen a ceiling window and - impressed by the light gain - did the same in the smaller bedroom.
The larger room with a double bed and corner bench has 4 windows and adjoins the new bathroom with washing machine that is entered through the hallway.
A fast internet connection via Wifi is included.
In the winter, you can either use a gas heater or light up the tiled stove, which also supplies all radiators in the house via the built-in water pipes.
Obviously, our optional services such as breakfast, traditional menus or farm products from the village also apply here. Transfer from Sibiu railway station or airport is included, and one of our cars can be rented on request.
While we rebuild and renovate, you will to a certain degree buy a pig in a poke, and the pictures loaded here will be updated only after finishing a construction phase. On the other hand, the reviews of hundreds satisfied guests over the years should reduce the risk of disappointments - see our guestbook - besides, you are welcome to ask us questions anytime. We will gladly update you on the state of affairs and supply you with current photo. (Mai 2018)
At a glance ...
• holiday farmouse for 4 (up to 6) people
• 2 bedrooms with double bed
• fully equipped kitchen
• new shower room with washing machine
• covered terrace in the courtyard
• garden with fire pit + barbecue
• minimum rental period: 5 nights
• extra bed from the 5th person: 10 €/night
••• We offer more than just accommodation •••
• Transfer from the Sibiu airport or railway station is included, and a reliable rental car you can order directly with us.
• On request, our cook provides breakfast or swings the wooden spoon. She conjures traditional menus fresh to the table by appointment - each gram of meat a product of her own livestock farming. Vegetarian? No problem.
• Also available are farm products from the village, such as fresh milk, goat or sheep's cheese, forest honey and homemade jam, zakusca, pickled vegetables, wine and schnaps.
• On request: baby cot, high chair, rides in a donkey cart for children, grocery shopping prior to your arrival.
• Tip: Excursion in a horse-drawn cart to the mountains. The tour can take a few hours or an entire day. On the way, you stop at a creek and Nicu (our Carpathian specialist) prepares a shepherd goulash in the kettle on the camp fire.
••• The village of Vale •••
… is out in the sticks, in the middle of nowhere. On the other hand, the freeway that brings all sights of Transylvania closer to you is only 5 km away. A tarmac road touches on the village, but in large parts, it’s cobblestone roads and dirt trails leading up into the wooded hills. Thus, traditional structures and straightforward hospitality still hold up in Vale. Horses, cows and goats are still part of the village landscape, and the farmers take up their scythes and plant corn, potatoes, and vegetables to provide for the winter.
There is a children's playground and a small grocery store at the village square. The town of Saliste 2 km away offers more shops, a farmer's market and an ATM cash machine. Whatever you miss here can be found in Sibiu 20 km away at the Cibin Market, in retail stores, or supermarkets such as Real, Carrefour and Lidl.
Some say that the Romanian countryside appears frozen in time. It is unique and mostly untouched and the breath of the past hides in every corner. Maybe you'll sense the charm of the extraordinary, perceiving what life was like before it was leveled by the advance of civilization.
Until then, take a good look around. Heists and highway robberies are tales from the long-gone years of turmoil following the political change in Romania, and Count Dracula obviously exists only in movies. Most people in these parts are open-minded and very friendly when met with respect.
Read more below for an overview of the sights in the area, plus a pinch of Transylvanian history.
••• Our cottages •••
… offer a total of 15 bedrooms endowed with double beds, internet access via WiFi, TV (Astra satellite), and plants. Some properties feature a garden and living room with a fireplace, and all of them provide a kitchen fully equipped for self-catering, as well as 1-4 bathrooms, a washing machine, and at least one terrace. The central heating facilities (most of them solar-assisted) are powered by water-bearing fireplaces, tiled stoves or gas heaters. In addition, nearly all of the rooms are equipped with an infrared panel.
• VILLA CRINA • our jewel with 200 sqm of living space and terraced garden – 8 pers.
• CASA PELU • the former farmhouse with extended loft and roof terrace – 6 pers.
• CASA NICU • 120-year-old cottage with the appropriate historic flair – 2-3 pers.
• VILLA ZOLLO • 150 sqm holiday home with panoramic views and large garden – 6-8 pers.
• Studio ZOLLO II • well equipped apartment with a terrace, BBQ and garden – 2-3 pers.
• CASA LOPO • carefully refurbished traditional farm with courtyard, barn, garden – 6 pers.
• COZO FANTU • our shepherd’s hut in the mountain pastures – 4 pers.
We care for you as a team. In case of problems or questions you can always get in touch. Furthermore, we might have one or two tips at hand for you, but we also master the art of discreet retreat. We nurture a climate of openness and equality-based relationships.
.Get the full listing »