-- 1910 Shore house; only one surviving the 1938 hurricane on this stretch of beach. Immense lot, gorgeous beach, dunegrass covered dunes, very private. House is large, with basic amenities. Ideal for the writer and artist (and their kids and in-laws!)
-- Old Saybrook has a convenient Amtrak stop on the Boston-NY line, is just off I-95 between New Haven and New London. The stop is 3 miles and an easy UBER/LYFT ride from the house.
-- Large shaded porch behind our private dunes, with path leading to our private beach. At end of dead end road, perfect for kids. Google Earth: 41o 16' 38.97' N and 72o 24' 26.54' W
-- Four bedrooms upstairs (two overlooking the Long Island sound), large living room/dining room area downstairs + kitchen.
-- Unheated, so only available for summer or early fall rentals.
-- After your swim, towel off and stroll up the sandy path to the porch. Later, enjoy the sunset from the top of one of our dunes. There's no other property like this in Old Saybrook or maybe even all of Connecticut!
--Please be advised that this is a century-old vacation cottage with used furniture, sometimes flakey appliances, windows that occasionally stick, and perhaps a lump or two in the mattress. It is unheated, and so May & late September can be quite cold; the cottage is not available in the winter months. The shower and bathroom facilities may strike some as primitive. We like it this way -- it's cozy, comfortable, and laid back. But if you strongly prefer, say, the Hilton to camping, this is unlikely to be your cup of tea. Email us for a brochure with more pictures.
-Occupancy is limited to 10 adults. By renting this property, you agree to the rules given below for its use.
-- Please consult VRBO calendar on upper right of webpage for availability
This house is old and delicate, and has been fortunate to have benefited from gentle treatment over the last century by renters and the family that built it. By renting the property and making a deposit through Homeaway/VRBO, the renter agrees to follow the below rules. Thank you for your cooperation
1) Do not move driveway border stones. They are protecting the underground water supply pipe and septic system.
2) Please respect the Dunes and don’t allow children to play in the area of dune grasses. They can walk on the path in the dunes.
3) No Smoking on premises.
4) Pets are NOT allowed.
5) Tenant must supply their own sheets, personal linens, towels, paper towels.
6) Cottage must be left in clean condition. Please check the following for food spills before you leave: Refrigerator, stove, microwave, toaster over, dining room table & kitchen counter top.
7) You may be billed a cleaning fee if not left in clean condition. Thank you for your understanding.
8) Do not leave any food when you depart.
9) Telephone is available for local calls only. Please use your cell phone or phone calling card for all long distance calls. Tenant will be billed for phone call charges incurred during their stay including a service charge.
10) Please lock all doors and windows when leaving cottage.
11) The right side garage has beach toys etc. for tenant’s enjoyment. Please return items to garage when you are finished with them.
12) The road over the Indiantown Bridge on Nehantic Trail may flood during a storm, especially with a very high tide. Be aware that it is salt water which can damage cars.
13) This cottage is on a septic system. Please flush ONLY white toilet paper and that which leaves the body. PLEASE DO NOT FLUSH DIAPERS OR WIPES.
14) Please put all cooking oils and grease in containers and put in the trash can, NOT down the drain.
15) Beach fires require a permit from the Old Saybrook Fire Marshall (see Section 2A of https://ecode360.com/8718817). All beach fires are to have such a permit, and are to be below the high tide line and buried when finished.
16) We are not members of Indiantown Association and therefore do not have the right to use their facilities. You are allowed to walk along the entire stretch of beach below the high tide mark. Please use our private beach for swimming, sitting and sunbathing.
17) Our neighbors are close by. Please be considerate of them and do not have late night parties or other noise after 10 pm or before 9 am.
18) Grill must be placed on South side of cottage AWAY from the cottage when being used. Cooking on a grill on either porch or near the building is a fire hazard.
19) Cold Fireplace ash MUST BE put in outside trash bin. Do not leave in fireplace when you depart.
20) No more than 10 people staying overnight or visiting at one time
We feel that this is a truly special place and we hope you enjoy your stay.Get the full listing »