Apartment with its own entrance, kitchen, and bath rented separately from main house high on a ridge near Linville Falls, NC (52 acre property). Location is close to many mountain vacation hot spots such as the Blue Ridge Parkway, falls on the Linville River, gem mining, fishing, hiking at Linville Gorge & Linville Falls, etc.. You'll love the light, privacy, and peace & quiet. My place is good for couples and families (with kids). The house is high on a ridge (4,000 feet elevation-spectacular views) so drive is steep (gravel,18% grade) and 1/2 mile long so ALL WHEEL OR FOUR WHEEL DRIVE VEHICLE IS REQUIRED. IF RENTER OR GUEST OF RENTER DRIVE A 2WD VEHICLE UP DRIVE; DAMAGE DEPOSIT WILL BE USED TO REPAIR DAMAGE TO GRAVEL DRIVE. Drive not passable in snow/ice. I had high efficiency ductless mini splits cooling added to the house in May, 2017 (just started rentals last July). There is a wall mounted cooling unit in the apartment which can be adjusted to the desired temperature. This wall mounted unit also supplies heating in the winter to supplement the under floor heating system that was installed in the house originally.
There's a laundry area in garage off the apartment entrance. The apartment has one bedroom with a queen size bed and a queen size sleeper sofa is in the apartment's living room. The apartment also has its own kitchen, bath, and separate entrance.
Feel free also to roam the entire 50+ acre property (at your own risk; a few steep rock faces and steep slopes).
Interaction with Guests
I will supply contact information upon booking as well as how to obtain house keys, temporary security system code, etc.
Plenty of attractions nearby!
• Blue Ridge Parkway: 1 mile
• Viaduct on Blue Ridge Parkway: 12 miles
• Grandfather Mountain: 12 miles
• Falls on the Linville River: 4 miles
• Linville Caverns: 10 miles
• Blowing Rock: 25 miles
• Boone: 30 miles
• Linville Gorge: 4 miles
• Gem Mining (Spruce Pine): 15 miles
• Linville River (Trout Fishing): 4 miles
There is plenty of parking near the house. If you wish to investigate fun thing to do, check out local publications (generally will be titled: North Carolina High Country).
Other Things to Note
There is no cable TV or internet / wifi access available in the apartment. However the digital TV antenna on the house picks up 20+ channel to the apartment living room TV due to the high elevation of the house. It's truly a quiet, restful vacation spot! Great for relaxing, hiking, reading, and communing with nature. Less so for getting ESPN push notifications or Snapchats (unless you get mobile reception- my carrier is Verizon which has a good signal at the house). There is a restaurant about 5 miles away in Pineola, NC that allows diners to access their wireless (ask me for details if you book) as well as coffee shops in Blowing Rock (also in Newland) if you need email access or to get some work done.
2. The gravel driveway is 1/2 mile long and VERY steep (18% grade). It's on top of a ridge so an all-wheel or 4-wheel drive vehicle is recommended! Often in the winter, the driveway is not passable during snow/ice events. It can still be hiked on foot but your deposit will be refunded and/or I'll cancel your reservation without penalty if the driveway is not passable should such a weather event occur just prior to renting period.
- In winter / heating season, when first arriving at the apartment, turn under floor heating system thermostat (located above the buffet in the kitchen area of the apartment) to two degrees BELOW what you wish the temperature in the apartment since the system will overcompensate the set point temperature during the first long heating cycle.
- Under floor heating systems are slow to heat up the living space AND also slow to cool down when turned off given the mass of concrete in the floors.
- During heating season, turn the heat down to 50F when leaving the apartment for the last time.Get the full listing »