Built in 1870 and completely renovated in 2003, this 700-square-foot, 2-bedroom, 1-bath vacation rental cottage is perfect for a summer getaway to Maine. The furnishings are a mix of antiques and new pieces, both comfortable and inviting for a group of 4. The floors and walls are a mix of old and new, helping to update this historic home while maintaining its charm and character. Its central location in Somesville on Mount Desert Island ensures all the local treasures are within easy reach!
-- THE PROPERTY --
Bedroom 1: Full Bed | Bedroom 2: 2 Twin Beds
Abraham Somes, the founder of Somesville, would be pleased with the restoration his descendants have made on this historic home. Upon arrival, you'll immediately notice the juxtaposition of antique furnishings and decor along with all of the modern amenities of home.
Step inside into the fully equipped kitchen which has everything you need to make your favorite recipes. Stop by Hannaford on your way to the house to pick up all of your groceries for your stay. Pull up a chair at the breakfast bar to keep the chef company while they whip up tasty treats!
Prepare a picnic and enjoy it in the great outdoors on beautiful summer afternoons. If you'd like to dine in a more formal setting, there's an elegant dining table adjacent to the kitchen.
Once you're full from dinner, kick back on the comfortable couch in the living area and use the free wireless internet access to surf the net, or grab a book off the shelf and get lost in a novel. The house has plenty of indoor and outdoor seating for everyone in your travel group.
On those mild Maine evenings, walk out to the screened-in shed to get some fresh air and relax with your travel companions. The area has a picnic table, chairs, loveseat, a radio, and a refrigerator for your convenience.
At night, retire to the full bed in the first bedroom or either of the twin beds in the second room! Each room features an armoire for your belongings and boasts a comfortable bed for a good night's sleep.
-- THE LOCATION --
This property's location simply can't be beaten; most of the villages are less than 15 minutes from the property by car. While most visitors rent a car, you can catch the island bus at a stop right down the street from the home.
Beat the heat by taking a dip at nearby Long Pond or Echo Lake. At Long Pond, you can rent a kayak or canoe and paddle to Rum Island. Bring your walking shoes and hit the hiking trails at nearby Beech Cliff Mountain and St. Sauveur Mountain. Also within walking distance is Somes-Meynell Wildlife Sanctuary on Somes Pond where you can drop in your kayak or take a mile-long nature hike.
The cottage is less than 10 minutes to Southwest Harbor and 15 minutes to Bar Harbor, the popular tourist destination on the edge of the sea with many quaint shops and restaurants to explore.
If you have the shopping bug, visit one of the local craft fairs or pick up groceries from the farmers' markets on the island.
-- THE EVOLVE DIFFERENCE --
Evolve Vacation Rental wants your vacation experience to be everything you hoped for and exactly what you needed. To make it easy, we help you find a property you love, offer world-class support seven days a week, and make sure our properties are safe, clean, and ready for your stay. Even better, each home has a Guest Contact available 24/7 for anything that’s on your mind. It’s a fresh new approach to vacation rental. Try Evolve today!
-- ADDITIONAL DETAILS --
Key Residence Features:
- Amenities include a fully equipped kitchen, screened-in sitting area with a picnic table, free WiFi, flat-screen TV, ceiling fans, in-unit laundry machines, smoke detector, carbon monoxide detector, armoires in each bedroom, driveway parking for 3, and much more!
- Perfect Mount Desert Island location within a short drive of everything the island has to offer! Go hiking, kayaking, canoeing, paddleboarding, or swimming!
- Nearest Commercial Airports: Hancock County-Bar Harbor Airport, 115 Caruso Drive, Trenton, ME 04605, (~7 miles away) | Portland International Jetport, 1001 Westbrook St, Portland, ME 04102 (~172 miles away)
-- POLICIES --
- No smoking inside the cottage, smoking allowed outdoors
- No pets allowed
- Please note this property is not suitable for children under the age of 4
- Must be at least 21 years old to book
- Additional fees and taxes may apply
- Photo ID may be required upon check-inGet the full listing »