Beachfront house, just 10 minutes from the Delaware Turf Complex !
Book online via VRBO for only an extra 12% fee, or contact the owner for the old-fashioned paper/check method!
This property is in South Bowers Beach Island, approx. 20 miles north of Broadkill Beach. It is directly on the Delaware Bay and close to Washington DC, Philadelphia, and Dover Air Force base.
Minimum Stay: 3 Days Off Season, 4 Days May and September, and Weekly in the summertime.
Get away from the crowds, traffic, long lines, and noise! This is the place for you! The house was built in 2009, redecorated in 2017, and perfect for a relaxing family vacation.
Enjoy romantic walks on an empty beach. This house is directly on the Delaware Bay, and also overlooks the marsh and wetlands with birds and wildlife.
The upper level deck is very large and has panoramic views of the Delaware Bay, sunrises, moonrise, and the Milky Way (The Delaware Bay shores has virtually no night glow to hide the stars, so bring a telescope!).
The lower level also has a screened in porch and a 6-person Hot Tub (Seasonal). Board games, puzzles, and beach chairs are provided.
The Kitchen includes a breakfast bar and a double oven for the larger meals when needed, a bread machine and an electric ice cream maker, and the other standard appliances. The great room includes comfortable couches, flat screen TV, an over-sized coffee table for games. Dining area seats 14 and has 10 comfortable chairs (great for games or meetings!)
Sleeping Arrangements are:
BR #1: Queen Bed. (Sleeps 2)
BR #2: Queen Bed. (2)
BR #3: Full/Twin Bunk, Trundle Bed (5)
BR #4: Twin Bunk + Twin Bunk (4).
BR #5: 3 Twins, Starting May 2018
MBR #6: King (2)
Total: 15 (18 in Summer 2018)
If you need a smaller place, or another house nearby for an even larger group, Check out my neighbor's 3-BR rental only 3 houses away.
Rental Period & Supplies:
This rental is SUNDAY to SUNDAY so as to allow you to miss the bulk of the traffic and make it to at least one more summer swim meet if you need to. Rental does NOT include bed sheets, pillowcases, soap, or paper goods (ie, toilet paper, paper towels, napkins and such). We will provide sample sizes of dishwasher soap and laundry soap, and modest cleaning supplies will be available. Please Note: This is a NON-SMOKING property. We also have a dog that visits the house occasionally, but are not inviting pets at this time.
Location & Distances:
South Bowers is located 2 hours south of Philadelphia and 2.5 hours East of Washington DC. It is one hour closer to DC than Rehoboth and two hours closer than Ocean City! We'll send detailed directions. You can use Google Maps or Mapquest to find 'South Bowers Beach; 19963'.
South Bowers is one hour directly east of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, and is situated near Milford for convenient hassle-free shopping. Local day trip opportunities include:
0) BEST - the US Air Force Air Mobility Command - climb inside and around dozens of old AF planes! Climb inside! Great exhibits - perfect for the young or old !!
1) Relax on your nearly private beach and enjoy the sun, swimming, shell collecting, walking and running, or volleyball. Plan to relax at south Bowers. It is very quiet, and lets you get as “away from it all” as you want to be.
2) Day-trip fishing with the Bowers Beach fishing fleet – go to some of the best fishing spots on the Delaware Bay and bring home some dinner! (walk 0.1 mile with special arrangement for pier-side pickups, or drive 20 minutes to the town and its fleet (& eclectic restaurants).
3) Rehoboth Beach – enjoy the waves and the shops! (45 min)
4) Lewes town, with neat shopping and beaches (30 min)
5) Cape May NJ via the CM/Lewes Ferry. A quaint Victorian town with shopping and fun! (and the Ferry ride is a blast! (40 min to the Ferry docks)
6) Harrington Racetrack & Casino (19 miles)
7) Dover Downs Racetrack & Casino (21 miles)
8) Prime Hook Nature Preserve (GREAT birding in the winter time!)
9) Harrington DE (Antique shops, Train caboose & Agricultural Tractor museum for kids) and the Delaware State Fair ! (July 23 to Aug 1, 2009,
10) Dover International Speedway, NASCAR Racing May 29-31 and Sep 25-27! Go see the Monster Mile !! ) (about 30 min)
11) Killens Pond Water Park ( 14 miles)
12) If you have a boat and trailer, there is a convenient private ramp .1 miles away with a nominal drop fee.
13) Visit the Dover AFB during its Open House Day (was 9/21/08 last year, 1 day only) or visit relatives on R&R.
14) Shopping in Rehoboth's outlet malls! Several miles of tax-free outlet stores! (40 min)
15) Ocean City MD And Bethany Beach are about 1.5 hours away if you really want to see lots of people crowding onto the beaches and restaurants. Then come back to the relaxing quiet of South Bowers Island. Walk on the empty beaches and recharge your energy levels.
16) Kids 7-12: Solve the 'mystery of the sea captains treasure'. His note in the guest book is the first clue.
Note that the Delaware Bay is a tidal bay and at South Bowers has virtually no unsafe undertow or strong waves except near the river entrances. This means body-surfing opportunities are limited (like, none) but the water is clean and calm. The semi-private beaches are NOT monitored, so you need to be your own lifeguard even though there are also no real waves. The South Bowers area also has some of the cleanest water in the Delaware Bay! Swimming is great at HIGH Tide. Swim shoes recommended at all times. Miles of tidal pools are visible at low tide.
NOTE: You do not need to purchase the additional damage insurance unless you want to. VRBO pushes this product and profits by it. I include a refundable $250 damage deposit in the rental contract.
Keywords: HouseGet the full listing »