“Pura Vida” is Spanish for “pure life,” a philosophy that encourages the appreciation of life’s simple treasures. Come prepared to enjoy every day! Start with the morning sun bathing the hills across the lake in golden color. Watch an afternoon storm advance across the lake and pass by, leaving the air clean and fresh. Hear the haunting calls of the loons across the water. Enjoy the lake breezes and sound of the waves against the sea wall. Laugh around a table, enjoying a meal with loved ones. Relax by a bonfire and watch the stunning colors of sunset bleed into the deep sapphire of twilight as the stars start to twinkle. Curl up in a comfortable bed and sink into slumber, ready for the next day's adventures. There's something kind of magical about the light, and the breeze, and the sound of the water here. Pura vida!
If you're looking for that wine country lifestyle, we are close to several east shore wineries that host outdoor concerts and other fun family-friendly events. There are plenty of parks and waterfalls to explore throughout the region to keep you busy (if you can tear yourself away from the lakeshore!).
One of the first things that you'll notice when you arrive is that you are right on the water! You may hear the water lapping at the sea wall even from inside the house. There are no long cliffside staircases to go up and down from the house in order to be near the water; unlike many other houses on Cayuga Lake, here you can drive right up and step out over the water from the house itself. Located in a friendly lakeside neighborhood, a very short distance down a quiet, dead-end, single-lane gravel road with a 5 mph speed limit, the house is very peaceful and safe without requiring a long, frustrating drive to get back to the main roads. From the house-level over-water front deck, a few short steps take you down to the dock and water. Bring your gear and fish right from the dock (check out our reviews; you will note that the avid fishermen/women who stay all rave about how great the fishing is here!) The deck furniture is perfect for relaxing at any time - you'll be drawn there over morning coffee, enjoying the combination of midday sun and lake breeze, sipping a craft beer or glass of wine at sunset, or stargazing!
After 3 steps up to the front door from the parking area, the next thing you'll notice is that with the main windows facing south and west, the house is full of light. A small lawn to the north of the house and the graceful and stately weeping willow provides shade for relaxation right next to the water in the comfortable hammock. An open floor plan on the main floor means that the kitchen and living room are one space and it's easy to catch up with friends & family while preparing a meal. Meal preparation is easy with standard major appliances (stainless, new in 2018), toaster, 12-cup drip coffee maker, French press, blender, hand-mixer, wafflemaker, 5 gallon bottled water dispenser (bottles easily purchased/refilled locally), dishes/tableware and dining area.
The open floor plan kitchen/dining/living room area includes comfortable seating, a flat screen TV with standard cable and a DVD player. Wireless cable internet is provided. Also on the first floor is a full bathroom with a combined shower/tub, and 2 bedrooms (BR1 has 1 queen bed; BR2 is *small* but has a bunk bed consisting of one upper twin-sized bunk (200 lb weight limit) and one lower full-sized bunk (400 pound weight limit) that can sleep 3 people. Please note that while it is sturdy, the bunk bed is intended primarily for children and because of the twin-over-full mattress sizes and configuration, it is likely not optimally comfortable/convenient for 3 adults - please see photos). An open staircase leads to a second floor with a half bathroom (sink and toilet) and loft-style open space with sleeping arrangements for an additional 3 people with 1 queen bed (sleeps 2) and a daybed (sleeps 1 on a twin mattress). Comfortable memory foam mattresses. Recently updated decor features a comfort-oriented, eclectic, contemporary style, with regional art adorning the walls - lots of unique touches! The house is small but comfy - think urban loft meets peaceful lake cottage! Eco bonus: All electricity supplied to the property is 100% solar generated, purchased from a nearby solar grid!
We provide fresh, clean bed linens and a set of bath towels for interior use for every guest, & the property is professionally cleaned between each rental. Fans are provided throughout the house, and in the summer window air-conditioning units are present in each bedroom and the open ground floor living area. Please note, there is not an on-site washer/dryer.
* Gorgeous outdoor dining (an ambiance better than any local restaurant!); beautiful sunset views
* Lakeshore firepit for small bonfires & roasting marshmallows
* Small shale beach for gradual water entry & kayak launch
* Propane barbecue for grilling
* 2 kid-sized kayaks + paddles (for kids <100 pounds)
* 2 adult-sized recreational kayaks + paddles
* 2 10’ stand-up paddle boards
* 1 vintage Grumman canoe
* Life jackets
* Deck & dock feature easy-on-bare-feet composite decking + swim ladder for water access
* 9000-lb boat hoist for safe boat/PWC storage (Note: Cayuga Lake can be unpredictably wavy, and it is not permitted to tie up dockside overnight; Boats & PWC must be on the hoist or trailered at the launch facility when not observed. Use of the boat hoist must be arranged with us in advance of your stay to ensure that hoist is unlocked; any guest wishing to use the hoist *must* be proficient in the safe loading and unloading of a boat from a boat lift as on-site training is not available. Please message to discuss hoist use when inquiring/booking).
Property amenities like outdoor furniture & watercraft are seasonally stored and *not available* during cooler months (usually late Oct - mid May; exact dates are weather dependent and not guaranteed). **Parking is limited** as this is a one lane road - there is space to park 2 cars max on our property. Please note that there is *no overflow parking* available, and no parking for boat trailers at the property (prior guests with boats have made arrangements to leave any trailers at the launch facilities without problem). If you wish to rent a boat during your stay, boat rental companies will often deliver boats directly to the cottage!
Pura Vida Cottage is far enough from the hubbub to be relaxing & still an easy 8 miles to Wells College in Aurora, or 20 miles to Ithaca College & Cornell University in Ithaca. Groceries: King Ferry Corner Store (2.5 miles E), Village Market (9 miles N), Lansing Market (14 miles S), ShurFine (15 miles N), Tops (15 miles S), Wegmans (20 miles S), We are 1/2 mile from the King Ferry Golf Club, within easy distance of many state parks and other hiking trails, as well as centrally located to the wineries on the eastern shore of Cayuga Lake, making it an ideal location for tourists and visiting parents/alumni to nearby colleges. This property is clean, updated, comfortable and ready to promote your relaxation and fun! Come and enjoy Pura Vida!
NOTE: Due to the prevalence of internet scammers, we never accept bookings offline or through unregulated classified ad sites.
COMMENCEMENT BOOKINGS: For Cornell University, Ithaca College, or Wells College graduation event weeks, Ithaca and Aurora are easy drives from the cottage. 3 night minimums. DISCOUNTED RATES FOR WEEKLY (7-NIGHT) STAYS DURING COMMENCEMENT
PLEASE NOTE: This property has a **no parties** policy. It is on a single lane road in a quiet, family-friendly neighborhood, with very limited parking. Additionally, as it is so close to the water, septic system limitations prevent large group use.
Other general house information:
- Please just be honest and respect our house rules. They exist for good reasons to ensure the property functions correctly and your visit is smooth, not to arbitrarily make life difficult. Complaints to us from neighbors about your group’s behavior during your stay are considered violations of house rules. Failure to respect and comply with property policies will impact return of the security deposit.
- Property has a strict NO SMOKING policy. Our family members have respiratory sensitivities, please do not undermine their health
- It is property policy that all visiting guests (not just the VRBO/HomeAway primary designee) be identified
- Check in after 4:00 pm; check out before 10:00 AM
- Pets: A maximum of 2 well-behaved dogs will be considered - written owner permission is required. We are dog friendly with some rules; ***please inquire with owners & see important pet policy information before payment.***
- During the summer months (July-August) we rent by the week only and our check in/check out day is Saturday. Rates vary according to the dates selected
- Max overnight occupancy is limited to 8 people (adults + children) - property systems are not set up for more. While we recognize that booking guests may wish to have a few local friends/family over for dinner or to visit (guests of guests), and we do not wish to be killjoys, day visitors must be approved by the owners, and total number of people on the property is usually capped at 12 people (inclusive of booked renters & day guests). Please message us to discuss. Guests of guests must abide by all house rules, including parking limitations.Get the full listing »