NESTLING ON A HILLTOP in the midst of the breathtaking Garfagnana region of Northern Tuscany sits The Factor House, set in a private 10 acre (4 hectare) estate with private swimming pool. It showcases stunning interiors and the latest technologies, including air conditioning and wi-fi throughout.
THE HOUSE HAS FOUR LIGHT AND AIRY BEDROOMS, all ensuite, accommodating up to eight people in supreme comfort. Each room is customisable with either a single superking bed (180cm) or twin single beds (90cm each). A further two people can be accommodated on a high quality sofa bed (142cm sprung mattress) in the sitting room.
SPECTACULAR ENSUITE BATHROOMS combine the old and the new: finished in slabs of pale cream Tuscan travertine, they are separated from the bedrooms with glass walls, doors and shower cubicles. Walk-in rain showers are generously-sized; the two larger bedrooms have standalone marble bathtubs "with a view". All bathrooms have bidets. Bedlinen and towels are changed weekly.
INSIDE, authentic chestnut beamed ceilings with handmade terracotta tiled floors and solid chestnut doors, complemented by design-led contemporary interiors. Relax in the comfortable sitting room (with satellite TV), spend some quality time in the study/library (books, DVDs), or entertain in the well-appointed dining room. Budding cooks will appreciate the professionally-appointed kitchen, with range cooker and American-style fridge-freezer (with ice machine).
OUTSIDE, a traditionally rendered and stone exterior with shuttered windows, stone sills, Tuscan painted architectural details, and a roof of reclaimed tiles. Generous south-west facing sun terraces with panoramic views allow for relaxed outdoor entertaining.
A WINDING STAIRCASE built from the house’s old chestnut beams leads down through the ancient olive terraces – now replanted – to the swimming pool (available April through October, weather permitting). Here new again combines with old: the contemporary black pool reflects the sky and trees around it and harmonises beautifully with the landscape, while the terrace provides ample room for poolside relaxation.
EASILY ACCESSIBLE, yet private and away-from-it-all:
- Pisa International Airport is just over an hour by car. Barga train station (to Lucca, Pisa and Pisa International Airport) is ten minutes away
- The Factor House is very privately located and has spectacular views of the Serchio Valley in northern Tuscany, yet remains close to local facilities, including bars, restaurants, a post office and pharmacy. The local towns of Castelnuovo di Garfagnana and Barga are each about a quarter of an hour away by car
- We are refreshingly off-the-beaten-track, but there's loads to see within easy reach: Lucca, Pisa, Abetone (skiing), the Tuscan coast (Forte dei Marmi, Lido di Camaiore, Viareggio and the Cinque Terre), Florence.
COMFORT, LUXURY AND PRIVACY WITHOUT COMPROMISE:
- Quality contemporary furnishings, comparable with those found in a private home
- Air-conditioning throughout. Discrete under-floor heating for the chillier months
- Reliable wi-fi, including on the sun terraces and by the pool. Library and DVD library; international satellite TV
- Fully equipped kitchen with range cooker, American-style fridge-freezer with ice dispenser, dishwasher and washing machine. Nespresso coffee machine and instant hot water tap (with complimentary coffee and tea)
- Baby cot(s) available on request
- Concierge for transfers, taxi, restaurant and tour bookings, wine-tastings, activities, translations, etc
- Chef available to provide light lunches and traditional Tuscan dinners, served either in the dining room or outside on the panoramic terrace.
THE FACTOR HOUSE: your luxury Tuscan villa retreat.Get the full listing »