CASA ELIANA is a unique and historic six-person villa with a garden and private terraces, located on the island of Capri. It’s the perfect place for a truly relaxing holiday.
Casa Eliana sits on the north-eastern side of Capri, neighbouring the famous Villa Lysis of Baron d’Adelsward-Fersen, and a few metres further along from Villa Jovis, the lavish residence of the Roman Emperors Augustus and Tiberius.
Casa Eliana was built by Marguerite Hoffmann (1884-1966), a French-born German citizen, a noted and talented actress and intellectual with a great interest in Eastern religions. The house was designed by Melchior Lechter (1865-1937), her personal friend, who was an exceptional Art Nouveau painter and the illustrator of famous books by members of the George-Kreis. The man who brought the design to life was the very young architect Angelo De Angelis.
The villa consists of just a single floor with large openings to let in the light and provide a view of the surrounding greenery. The villa has a lounge with a fully designed Art Nouveau fireplace, dated and signed by Melchior Lechter, which features in almost every book about Capri because of its beauty. The very same maestro painted the walls in an Art Nouveau style, as well as in the adjacent dining room. The furniture was also mostly provided by Lechter, along with the many valuable paintings. The main doorway to the house was also entirely designed by Lechter.
The vast library is full of old books in various languages, a considerable number of which come from villa “Il Fortino” in the Palazzo a Mare area, which was the luxury home of the American Mona von Bismarck, then Mona Williams.
Because of its style, Casa Eliana is one of the few villas of its kind in Italy. It’s a house dedicated to the sun god Helios, “Eliana”, and therefore dedicated to the light. Much more than a house, it could be considered a temple for meditation, spiritual exercises, listening to music (inside there is a prestigious Steinway grand piano, once played by Rudolf Steiner when he was a guest), and living in close contact with nature. The villa is immersed in a forest of Mediterranean and Alpine plants. As recounted in many books, many great cultural personalities have been in this house as guests of Marguerite Hoffmann.
Casa Eliana and the neighbouring Villa Lysis, which is now an important cultural centre with many classical performances during the summer, are both important sites for taking in the island’s cultural history. They lie along the same route which leads to the most important historical cultural site on Capri, Villa Jovis, home of the emperor Augustus and then for eleven years the permanent home of Tiberius. It’s barely a few minutes from Casa Eliana along a smooth path, surrounded by greenery and looking out over the entire Gulf of Naples until the Gulf of Salerno.
The villa consists of two bedrooms with four beds, which can be increased to six with the chaise longue in the dining room and the other in the lounge. There is a bathroom with bathtub and shower. The kitchen is fully fitted and there is a wide range of dishes, cutlery, tablecloths of all sizes and colours, and candelabras for dining in style. There is also a wide range of bedsheets.
Furthermore, there is a large partially-shaded terrace and a stylishly furnished patio.
THINGS TO KNOW
- On request and for a fee, guests can get to Casa Eliana from the Piazzetta di Capri more comfortably in an electric cart.
- The electric carts on Capri take you to the gates of the villa, practically all the way to the house, which has no steps leading from the street. They will transport goods, luggage, and people upon request for a fee.
- On the ground floor you will find the caretaker’s lodgings. The caretaker speaks very good Russian, English, and Italian and will always be available to help you with any problem you might have to make sure that everything at the villa is working perfectly for you.
- Casa Eliana can be made available for certain one-off, brief events.
- Upon your arrival, the owner will provide you with the “internet key” which you can top up at a nearby shop.
- Damage deposit: 1,000 Euros. The deposit will be refunded to you on the day of your departure provided there is no damage to the property.
- Private boats
- Chef in the villa
- Limousine service
- Private guide
- Massage service
- Grocery delivery service
- Private transfer by helicopter, boat, or car
- Yacht rental
- Porter serviceGet the full listing »