"They win the affections of another young, emterprising and wealthy man." That was the headline in the Hammondsport Herald on March 14,1888. The story described the first visit of James A Drake and his father P.N Drake to the site of their cottages. Both men were prominent bankers from Corning and had dreams of making this spot their prized vacation home. Many idyllic summers were spent at their cottages until the crash of 1913.
The cottages were converted into the Lakeside Restaurant and amusement park. Later after purchase by Mr. and Mrs. William Francisco in 1936; a dance hall, shooting gallery and concessions were added. In its heyday prior to WWII, crowds thronged to the park. The dance hall located over the lake was at Mecca for dancers every night throughout the summer before eventually becoming a roller rink. The Francisco's sold the property in 1960 and shortly after, the dance hall/skating ring burned down. The gallery and amusements were removed. However the Lakeside Restaurant remained as the Idyllic retreat that the Drake Family envisioned.
Rick and Dorean Koch owned the house and operated the restaurant until 2002 when Shawn Griffin and Peter Krog purchased the Lakeside and have now purchased the house to be their summer home. Shawn's father Jim Griffin has his vacation home next door completing the circle back to the dreams of the original owners, the Drakes.
Best Known For...
Steaks, Seafood, Speciality Pastas. Great Drinks.