Almost 200 years have passed since Georgetown was settled. Records and accounts are sometimes hazy, sometimes contradictory, but here, subject to error, are what I am able to glean from them.
Ezra sexton cut the first tree for settlement in Georgetown on July 4, 1803. He built a cabin on lot #58, just east of the Otselic River, on the south side of the Lebanon Road. He returned to Connecticut that winter, to bring his wife back with him in the spring of 1804. Another group of pioneers also came in 1804, thus the beginning of settlement. It is interesting to not that 1804 was also the year that President Jefferson sent an expeditions under Lewis and Clark west to explore the new Louisiana Purchase, all the way to the Pacific Ocean.
John C. Payne was one of those 1804 settlers. He purchased land in lot #115, at the present junction of Rt. 26 Mill and Davenport Roads. He is listed as the first Tavern owner in Georgetown, but his tavern was where the present Georgetown Inn is situated. The date of its opening is not known, but Muller is supposed to have stopped there in 1808. Probably it was a slab house, as the Bishop & Hunt sawmill was just down Mill Street from the tavern. Georgetown was known as "Slab City" for many years, as there were at least three slab houses in the village when the sawmill frame was raised. [Today slabs are called "Adirondack Siding."]
One source has the first hotel built in 1810. Another building was built on the same site in 1840, by Ebenezer Hall. Part of the old building was moved and remodeled and became the home of Dr. White, on "West Street." Counting the house on the intersection of Muller Hill Road and Rt. 80 as #1, this would be the third house on the left [south side of Rt. 80]
Mrs. Hammond of history fame sometimes left out people. She does not say so, but this new building is undoubtedly "The Stewart House."