In 1935 Pablo Picasso was introduced to Dora Maar who became his muse and mistress. Dora lived just up the street from the Ancienne Poste in what is now known as La Maison Dora Maar.
At the time the Ancienne Poste was, yes you guessed it, the village post office - located halfway between the Dora Maar house and the village bar Le Cafe du Progres. Local lore has it that Picasso visited the Ancienne Poste frequently to chat and catch up on news from elsewhere. We feel that much of his incredible creativity has been captured in today's modernist incarnation of the Ancienne Poste: Vast open spaces, the entire back wall made of glass and the massive village rock face giving the modern suspended staircase a troglodytic character.
L’Ancienne Poste is a luxury village rental property in the heart of Ménerbes, a peaceful village in the beautiful Luberon region of Provence.
Featured in Homes & Gardens UK, various other design magazines and on a French architecture TV programme (search for Ancienne Poste Menerbes on YouTube), the property was designed by the owner and one of France's leading contemporary architects. It has now been elegantly restored and stylishly furnished, yet still partakes of this protected building’s original historic charm.
At 5,000 square feet, the house offers generous courtyard, a rooftop terrace, access to a swimming pool and incredible views of the Luberon Valley from every bedroom and bathroom. Its spacious interior has been tastefully refashioned in a sophisticated, contemporary style that enhances the original architecture. Best of all, the design allows Provence’s magical light, the inspiration of so many painters, to bathe the interior of the house.
For those wishing to explore Provence beyond the village, L’Ancienne Poste is an ideal home base. Setting out on foot, on an excellent rental bike or by car, you can immerse yourself in Provence, from lavender fields and limestone cliffs to medieval villages and crumbling Roman ruins, from antiques markets and wine estates to chic contemporary shops and stylish restaurants.
L’Ancienne Poste has been thoughtfully designed to accommodate up to 10 people with the option to add an adjacent property for an additional 2 people for an additional charge. A typical group might consist of close friends who want to share a Provençal home base, or a mix of couples and children, young visitors are more than welcome. Alternatively, L’Ancienne Poste would be ideal for one gregarious couple wishing to host various guests at an 'open house in Provence' for a couple of weeks or longer.
Spacious open plan living & dining area (610 sq ft) opening onto a spacious courtyard (731 sq ft) via floor to ceiling glass doors. Well equipped (SMEG & Siemens) kitchen-breakfast room with all modern amenities & pantry. Guest WC
Master bedroom #1 (330 sq ft) with king size or twin beds (180 or 2 x 90 cm), ensuite bathroom and wc
Master bedroom #2 (250 sq ft) with queen-size bed (160 cm), ensuite bathroom,shower room and wc. Library
Master bedroom #3 (330 sq ft) with queen-size bed (160 cm), bath and WC. Bedroom #4 with twin beds (90 cm) that can be made as one king (180 cm). Bedroom #5 with twin beds (90 cm) that can be made as one king (180 cm). Shared shower room and independent WC for bedrooms 4 & 5. Spacious living room with satellite TV, DVD, stereo.
Our roof top terrace (215 sq ft) is the perfect place to take cocktails, relax and enjoy sunsets over the Luberon. We offer access to a private pool just 3 minutes away by car - longer on foot. The 12 x 6 metre pool is the perfect place for everyone to cool off during the summer months.
Dishwasher, clothes washer & dryer, stereo, satellite TV, CD, DVD, fireplace, alarm).
* Furnished to a very high standard
* Sophisticated architectural style
* In the heart of a charming village
* Spacious courtyard and views, a rare combination in a village property
* We offer access to an outdoor pool in a beautiful setting. The pool is 3 minutes from the Ancienne Poste by car or 15 minutes if walking.
To confirm your reservation:
1. Please read, complete, sign and return by email our Terms and Conditions.
2. Please wire us a 40% deposit of the value of your rental to confirm your dates. Please send us evidence of your remittance once you have made the wire transfer. We will then block out the dates on our availability calendars.
3. Any adults occupying the Ancienne Poste should read, sign and return our Liability Release before their arrival.
4. Nearer the time, please read, complete and return our Guest Arrival and Rooming form so that we might prepare the house just the way you’d like it.
5. We ask that upon arrival you remit a cash security deposit of 1500 €uros to our property manager. Assuming there is no damage to the property, missing or broken contents, this will be returned to you upon your departure. If you prefer to wire this sum and have it returned to you by wire in your own currency please remit a wire transfer of 1550€. The non-refundable extra 50€ charge will be applied to cover wire transfer fees involved in returning your funds.
Keywords: House, pool, luxury, PicassoGet the full listing »