The Roc d’Enfer ski area at La Grande Terche is one of the best kept secrets of Portes du Soleil, providing 50km of uncrowded skiing for all abilities.
Chalet le Dahu is perfectly situated in the centre of La Grande Terche, in the mountain village of Saint Jean d’Aulps. Positioned directly opposite the ski lift and ski school, this beautiful chalet offers unparalleled access to the lifts of Roc d’Enfer.
Morzine and Lets Gets are just a 10-15 min drive or shuttle bus ride away giving you full freedom to explore the twelve linked Alpine resorts in France and Switzerland, which make up the vast Portes du Soleil ski area.
This spacious chalet is artisan built to a very high standard comfortably sleeping 12 people in 5 large bedrooms . Bedroom 6 doubles up as a nursery/playroom for children, or can have a single fold away bed. 3 baby travel cots are provided and there are plenty of toys to keep little ones occupied.
Chalet le Dahu has a large terrace to enjoy the sunshine and spectacular mountain views – a perfect place to watch skiers on the ‘home run’ or to enjoy the lazy summer afternoons.
After a day on the slopes, soak in the sauna or the steam room and then take a short stroll to the local bars and restaurants.
Chalet le Dahu is the ideal getaway for a family reunion or for families and friends on holiday together.
The convenience of La Grande Terche makes organising your skiing holiday easy. Get your Portes du Soleil lift passes at the Roc d’Enfer station, then Jean-Marc and his team at Muffat sport will look after all your equipment needs throughout the week. The mountain restaurants on the circuit and at the Terche are all enjoyed by locals and visitors alike. The local charcuterie/fromagerie and the sherpa shop for your morning croissants and other essentials are just 50m walk away. Carrefour express is in Saint Jean d’Aulps and a large Carrefour is en route to Morzine.
In the summer the cool fresh air and quiet of La Grande Terche make it a perfect location for your holiday. Relax on the terrace and enjoy the mountain views; lunch on the veranda or BBQ in the shade of the garden on hot summer afternoons.
There is plenty to do; trek the well signposted walks and bike paths that begin right on your doorstop, swim in the nearby Lac Montriond and enjoy the excitement of nearby Morzine and Les Gets.
For the more adventurous, there are numerous activities in the valley; whitewater rafting, canyoning, horse riding, paragliding, rock climbing and the via ferrata to name a few. The cycling and mountain biking paths in the area are world class - now electric mountain bikes enable all to take part! The tourist office in Saint Jean D’Aulps has information on everything available.
* Open-plan kitchen, large dining and living area with wood burning fireplace.
* 5 spacious bedrooms plus an additional 6th bedroom/playroom.
* Sauna and steam room
* Large terrace
* Covered verandah to enjoy a peaceful drink or for summer lunches in the shade.
* Ample private parking spaces
* Wi-fi and satellite TV
* Fully equipped laundry room
* Integral heated garage/ski room
* Garden with BBQ
* Provided for children 3 travel cots, stargates, highchair, potty, toys-lego/playmobil, soft toys, games
The main floor of the chalet is open plan comprising the living, dining and kitchen areas. There are several doors opening out onto the covered verandah and the wrap around balcony, leading to a large terrace. This floor forms the heart of the chalet and provides ample space for everyone to be happily entertained, both inside and outside.
• Kitchen: fully equipped, full size dishwasher, large fridge, freezer, fondue and racelette sets, etc.
• Dining area: large round table seats 12
• Lounge: with an open fire, TV and games table
• Covered verandah: table and chairs for outdoor eating
• Terrace with outside furniture perfect for the summer, or wrap up and watch the skiers on the final run home
The bedrooms are exceptionally spacious and with thicker than average walls!
• Bedroom 1: Master bedroom with a king-size bed, wash basin and TV.
• Bedroom 2: Large double bedroom with wash basin - twin beds or king-size
• Bedroom 3: Full size bunk beds and 1 twin bed sofa bed
• Bathroom: Walk-in shower, basin, toilet and heated towel rail
• Additional separate lavatory
• Laundry room: fully equipped with washer/dryer/iron
• Integral Heated Garage: immediate access to the ski school and lift
• Bedroom 4: Large double bedroom with a balcony - twin bed or king-size
• Bedroom 5: Large double bedroom with a balcony - twin, triple or king-size bed
• Bedroom 6/Playroom/Nursery: 3 baby travel cots, plenty of toys
• Bathroom: Twin sinks, bath, separate shower and a heated towel rail
* King-size bed = twin beds set up as a king with two single duvets.
• Sauna for 6
• Hamman (steam room) for 6
Chalet le Dahu is within the ski area Roc d'Enfer, part of the vast Portes du Soleil - 650km of fantastic skiing in France and Switzerland!
Roc d'Enfer has 50km of pisted runs and excellent off-piste skiing for the more adventurous. The slopes at the top of the gondola are perfect to learn the basics, then enjoy the freedom of the quiet runs - you will rarely find a queue whilst skiing in this area.
The Circuit du Roc d’Enfer is a scenic 20km route of great skiing for all, including two 5km runs! Stop for refreshments at the mountain restaurant en route. Spectacular views of Mont Blanc and Dents du Midi can be seen at the start of the circuit.
Morzine, Les Gets and Montriond are a short drive or shuttle bus away in the winter season. The free parking at the L'Ardent bubble is a 15 minute drive from the chalet - taking you directly into the Lindaret bowl, with fast lifts into Switzerland and France.
The ski school of Saint Jean d'Aulps is directly opposite the chalet - perfect for dropping off the children. They run a piou-piou kids club from age 3. There is also a small ice skating rink here, a fun way to entertain the kids.
The ski passes for Roc d'Enfer are exceptionally good value, affordable skiing right on your doorstep. You can also buy your Portes du Soleil lift passes here thus avoiding the long queues at the main stations.
In the summer the vast array of activities available will keep everyone entertained. The numerous walking paths are well signposted and start from outside the chalet. The scenic walk into Saint Jean takes 20-30 minutes through the woods - wander down for coffee or lunch.
The restaurant at the Terchette is open every day - accessible in a 4-wheel drive via Graydon, you can hike up from the Terche or the lift at La Grande Terche is open on Thursdays.
Morzine and Les Gets will be buzzing with mountain bikers, downhill cyclists and electric bikers all enjoying the thrill of the mountains. Head there to shop and eat, and then return to Chalet le Dahu and enjoy the peace and cooler air of La Grande Terche. The pétanque pitch at the Terche is well used by visitors and the locals - join in the Friday evening competition!
Lac Montriond is a 10 minute drive away and offers beautiful scenic walks, a waterfall and fabulous refreshing swimming in the lac, or in the smaller ‘swimming lac’ for the kids. There are BBQ pits available or several restaurants - dinner here is a perfect way to end the day.
Lac Leman is a 25 minute drive away in Thonon-les-Baines with sailing, swimming and cafes by the lake. Yvoire is a medieval town by Lac Leman and well worth a visit.
Golf is available locally in Les Gets and Avoriaz. The championship course at Evian Resort Golf Club is 40 minutes drive from the chalet - a challenge for even the best golfers.
Summer in Valley d’Aulps is a wonderful experience that everyone will enjoy.Get the full listing »