Herisson (Hedgehog) Cottage is a cosy traditional cottage 200 yards from the River Blavet in the centre of the lovely floral village of St Nicolas des Eaux where you will find a selection of bars and restaurants. Herisson is next door to Tourterelle (Turtledove) Cottage and can be rented together or individually. There is free wifi off street parking directly opposite the cottage.
We are pleased to announce that they are available all year round, including Christmas and New Year.
We supply bed linen and towels free of charge although you should bring your own beach towels.
Heated pool is open 1st May through to 30th September.
Fishing is available by permit all year round.
There are eight bicycles of varying sizes for guests to use. Also two kayaks for each cottage for guests to use on the river. Lots of fun!
Please note that the use of bicycles and kayaks are at your own risk and that the French laws state that children under 12 must wear a helmet while cycling. We do not supply cycle helmets so please remember to bring them with you.
Herisson Cottage is a traditional beamed cottage and is comfortably furnished with two good-sized double bedrooms.
The living/dining room has comfortable leather sofas, coffee table, flat screen television with English satellite tv and dvd player. There is a good sized dining table and chairs. A high chair can be supplied on request.
The kitchen is fully equipped for comfortable living with dishwasher, microwave, fridge freezer. The door from the kitchen leads to the fully enclosed back garden and pool.
There is a washing machine, iron and ironing board, rotary washing line and pegs.
The double bedroom is to the front of the property and has a double bed, bedside tables, chest of drawers, dressing table and wardrobe with space for an extra bed cot.
The second bedroom has twin beds, dressing table and wardrobe.
There is a cloakroom with wash hand basin and toilet upstairs and shower room with cubicle, wash hand basin and toilet downstairs.
The above ground heated swimming pool is at the rear of the garden and is shared with Tourterelle Cottage. There are also swings.There is a blow up paddling pool available for the little members of the family.
Well behaved dogs are welcome with prior arrangement with the owners. We ask that dogs do not go into the pool area.
The cottage has a garden with fencing to give privacy, and at the end of the garden is a fence with a gate opening on to a shared area containing the swings and swimming pool. The cottage has a patio area complete with garden furniture consisting of table, chairs and parasol and barbecue for those meals alfresco.
Sunbeds are supplied for relaxing with a good book or sunning after a cooling swim.
If you prefer a more active holiday, you can walk or cycle for miles in each direction along the level towpath to medieval Pontivy in one direction, and in the other, to a lovely riverside restaurant for drinks or very delicious meals at moderate prices.
Bicycles, boats, kayaks, paddle boards and pedaloes can be hired in the village where you will find a children's playpark.
Every morning, a baker stops by the cottage with crusty bread, croissants and other delights.
There is a small shop in the village selling essentials such as bread and wine.
Things to Do
• St Nicolas des Eaux - In the village there are some lovely bars and restaurants with terraces overlooking the river. Have a delicious ice cream or crepe, yum! Mess around on the river with our kayaks or hire a boat, pedalo or paddle board. Cycle up or down the tow paths and see what you can find. Go to the children’s playpark or have a round of golf.
• Sailing – Take a boat trip from Vannes and sail around the islands in the Gulf of Morbihan, classed as one of the world’s most beautiful bays.
• Markets -There are markets on every day of the week, particularly good ones are Vannes, Carnac, Auray, Hennebont and Pontivy.
• Poul Fetan – is a restored working thatched Breton village from days gone bye and is steeped in tradition.
• Fishing – The river Blavet has the reputation of being one of the best coarse fishing rivers, including salmon and trout, in France. Daily and weekly permits are available in St Nicolas des Eaux.
• Medieval Towns – Pontivy, Vannes, Auray, Carnac, among others and don’t forget the beautiful fairy tale chateau at medieval Josselin.
• Megaliths – Carnac is the largest megalithic site in the world dating between 6000BC and 2000BC
• The aquarium at Vannes, Kingoland amusement park, museums, zoos, adventure parks, chateaux ……. See our selection of leaflets in the cottage.
Genuine review from Jeff D of Virginia on 9th June 2018:
Hedgehog cottage is perfect! We were warmly welcomed with check in gifts including coffee, tea, cookies, candy, milk, eggs, bread, wine, etc. That was lovely after a long day of traveling. The cottage is perfect for 4. a well stocked kitchen, beautifully, relaxing gardens and pool, comfortable beds, etc. We did not get a chance to use the bikes or kayaks, but this would have been great. St. Nicholas des Eaux is beautiful. We walked the river and enjoyed the village area. Do yourself a favor and go to Le Chalet Creperie! Incredible crepes and at good prices! We had a system issue with Airbnb and our reservation was accidentally cancelled. The process to get the reservation reactivated was very frustrating. Airbnb was get difficult to work with, but our host Stephanie was excellent through this process and gave much of her time to ensure we could get the issue resolved. If we return to Brittany, we will definitely stay at the Hedgehog cottage!'Get the full listing »