The Ranch House Restaurant was built in 1949 by Ida and William Deiter. The name was chosen to correlate with the new style of building they used - the "Ranch" style. They and their children Ed, Kathryn, Roy, Helen, Grace, Lewis, Doll (Mary), Erma, Verma, Billy and Zelma, thrived on their heritage Pennsylvania Dutch style cooking. They thought travelers would too, and they were right! Little did Pop and Mom Deiter know they that the two lane highway where they built their restaurant would one day grow to five lanes with over 20,000 cars passing by everyday!
We are fortunate to have Mom's diary which details the trials of starting a new business and the joys of success. One entry reads "We had a bus today. $102!" There was originally a house on the North side where Doll and her family lived. If it became busy and needed help, they turned on a pole light to signal her to run over! Daughter Verna and her husband Tom Stepp extensively remodeled the restaurant in 1972, and operated it until 1986 when it was purchased by their children Darlene Ray, Thomas O. Stepp, and Linda Hepfer. They added a 110 seat dining room, lobby, tripled size of the kitchen and enlarged the parking lot.
The menu now includes those original homemade comfort foods, plus chargrilled steaks, flame broiled seafood, including what folks say are the best crabcakes on the East Coast, Healthy Heart offerings, Italian and Vegetarian Entrees. There are two banquet rooms in addition to the main dining rooms, and off-site catering for groups of any size is offered. Quality continues to be a family tradition at the Ranch House along with a zeal for cleanliness. New staffers are forewarned that keeping things spotless is part of the job!
Best Known For...
Homemade Dutch Style Pot Pie, Homemade Sticky Buns, Apple Dumplings.
Reviews and Awards
Satisfied diners since 1949. We have proudly served our customers for 3 generations. We are waiting to serve you!