The Candle Light Inn celebrates a long history in the Catonsville community. The original house, surrounded by rolling farmland and known as the Five Oaks estate, was built in the mid 1800's The house changed hands perhaps three times before the mid 1920's when the Rogers' family began the pleasant tradition of offering afternoon tea and light fare in the parlors and on the gracious porch which once wrapped itself around the north and east sides of the house.
Ten or twelve little cottages were built behind the house to accommodate people traveling between Baltimore and Washington and the Five Oaks became the Candle Light Lodge. In the early 1940's the house was purchased by Anna May Calk who served a bountiful spread of traditional Maryland food for over 20 years. Anna May retired in the early 1960's and sold the Inn to Charles and Ginny Dukehart, who maintained the Inn for close to 15 years, until an electrical fire destroyed the porch and damaged the small adjoining dining room.
After the fire the Dukeharts sold the Inn and it remained vacant for nearly a year until a group of local investors rebuilt the damaged portions of the building. The present owners, the Lombardini family, purchased the Inn in 1979 and continue to provide the fine food and service that patrons have come to expect. With the renovations to the building in the late 1980's, and the addition of a covered outdoor dining patio, the Lombardini family has attempted to restore the tradition of country elegance and charm that has long been associated with dining at the Candle Light Inn.
Reviews and Awards