As you drive past the wineries in South Bay, Century Farms, Marine Museum and Art Galleries on County Road 13 prepare to come face to face with a rejuvenated, century farm house .
Hicks Holme, Circa 1876
On the highest point on Long Point – affording you with unmatched views, Hicks Holme has been completely updated to its former glory. The amazing floorplan and design is perfect for large groups – it’s large enough to easily enjoy time all together, and offers many nooks and hideaways when you want to enjoy some privacy too. The house and property is a joy to explore and find each deck/porch (3), garage (3), bedrooms (5), and the Wisers lounge. The total space of Hicks Holme is 3,000+ sq. ft.
This 5 bedroom, 2.5 bath County gem, featured and pictured in County architectural reviews, has been lovingly restored and updated by the current owners. The current property owners are the first since the Hicks family, who were originally granted the property as Loyalists to the British Crown.
Start your tour, after you park on the large gravel driveway (easily handles 7 vehicles), by standing in front of the original, main hall, that is the center piece of the two level “County" vestibule. Envision the clawed, period bath tub on the second level of the vestibule surrounded by six windows and beautiful marble tiles as you soak in the period history of this property.
Continue North to the entrance to the 500-sq. ft. deck that, despite being less than four years old, feels like it has been part of the house for 100 years. Enjoy panoramic lake views from the highest point on Long Point of Half Moon Bay, South Bay and Waupoos – the sunsets are breathtaking from the two built in benches.
Enter the Holme via the French doors off the deck into the gorgeous living room with restored, pine floors made up of 9-ft long timbers a minimum of 5 inches thick. Open the beautiful pine door into the vestibule and flood yourself with the colours of the floor to ceiling stain glass windows surrounded with stained, refinished, pine.
Move to the large dining room with 10-ft ceilings and over 300 sq. ft. of entertaining space. Envision the Hicks family sitting under the candle lit chandelier 100 years ago, enjoying the plentiful harvest from the farm. Take a quick glance through the diary on the desk that details the daily life of the family at the turn of the century. The beautiful barn to the South, for example, was built for $75 and was a true barn raising that involved the entire community, per the diary.
The large, country kitchen easily sits 6 people and boasts an Italian, granite counter top, original pine ceiling and brand-new propane stove and enjoy a coffee on the front porch as the sun rises in front of you. See if you can find the hidden stairs leading to the old servant’s quarters (bedroom) and the “Wisers" loft space. Open the door to the right of the wood stove and breathe the scents from 100-year-old timbers of the original barn-style garage with a remote garage door that fits an SUV.
Open the door in the dining room and view the new laundry room, with top grade appliances, and large bathroom with marble floors and a tiled shower. Open the cold storage door and enter the “South Bay Canteen" where you can store your County grown wines from nearby Exultet or Long Dog winery and your local produce surrounded and cooled by five foot wide limestone walls.
The majestic staircase to the upstairs features a 25-ft long, original stained pine hand rail. Each of the 5 bedrooms host a double or queen bed. The old servant’s quarters has a double and a single bed. Each bedroom has been purposely restored to their original beauty. Upstairs you will also find 2 tiled bathrooms, one featuring marble floor and wall tiles along with a claw foot tub.
Walk out of the back of the garage to the second deck that also has panoramic views of Lake Ontario. On the large, main deck, envision cooking meals on the large stainless steel barbeque, dining al fresco, a sunset campfire in the new, gravel, fire pit with accompanying timber benches, and a hot tub under the stars.
Choose one of 3 options (including a gravel road ideal for launching your boat) to walk down to the 275-foot flat stone beach with a 40-foot dock, additional fire pit with seating, and full acre grass field - perfect for soccer, football, etc. The Hicks Holme/Half Moon Bay beach water is renowned as one of the clearest on Lake Ontario – excellent for swimming, water sports and pickerel fishing. There are 2 paddleboards and 1 kayak as well as 2 adult life jackets and 1 children’s. Enjoy views of the Bluffs, Waupoos Island and stare out into the vast, unending waters of Lake Ontario from your Muskoka chairs or enjoy some campfire songs as the sun sets to the West of the fire pit.
Follow the shoreline path (to your left if you are facing the dock) to your own private, sandy beach less than a 10-minute walk!
What makes the South Bay area and this part of Prince Edward County unique is the clear and calm waters which are spectacular to swim in. Nature is also in abundance with so many bird species. If you are into scuba diving this area has many wrecks to explore. Located about 1 km from the house is what's called Little Bluffs Conservation Area - you can walk, hike and swim at the rock beach and there are picnic areas for you, friends and family to enjoy.
There are a few wineries in the South Bay area and Huff Estates have their major vines planted in this area. Some of our favourites are Exultet and Long Dog Winery to name a couple. They are a 15-minute bike ride or 5-minute car ride from the house. Half Moon Bay Winery is one of our neighbours, literally 2 houses down.
Around the corner from South Bay is Black River and Waupoos home to County Cider and some amazing cheese places such as Black River Cheese and Fifth Town Cheese, and don't forget Vickie’s Veggies grown from her backyard to your table.
South Bay is truly unique and different from other parts of the county and you are short drives to Wellington, Bloomfield, Picton and around the corner is Milford which was a port at one point and where major schooners and ships were built.
It is recommended that you have a vehicle to get around; however, Little Bluff Conservation Area and Half Moon Bay winery are neighbours and within easy walking distance or a very short bike ride. Award-winning wineries Exultet and Long Dog are a 15-minute bike ride away.
It is a 5-minute drive to Milford and 10 to Cherry Valley. Bloomfield, Waupoos and downtown Picton are all within a 15-minute drive. You can drive to Sandbanks Provincial Park, Wellington and the Drake Devonshire as well as the other major wineries within 30 minutes or less, or ride your bike in an hour. The property is also close to The Hayloft Dancehall where there is always great entertainment and a shuttle service from Cherry Valley.
I am happy to offer advice on where to go, what to do and how to enjoy yourself in the County and South Bay area. Please feel free to ask!
Notes for your stay:
- Keys are in lock box on French Doors on deck, enter through French doors off main deck; code will be provided before check-in
- Check in is at 4 pm on day of rental and check out is at 10 am on day of check out
- Please drink bottled water as we are on a well. We do also provide a large container of bottled water in the kitchen
- The hot tub is operational ideal temp is 92 F once you use I it takes a while to warm up again, put the lid on and wait until it gets to the temp you like
- There are 2 paddleboards, 1 kayak, 2 adult and 1 child life jackets
- Parking is available on the gravel driveway leading to the garage and rear of the house (easily parks 7 vehicles), please do not park on the grass
- The house- there are fans in each room and there is a great cross breeze if you open the windows in the late afternoon
- There is central heating in the home
- For winter guests, please turn down heat to 45°F when you leave
- Due to the age of the indoor fireplaces (100+ years), they are not covered by insurance and cannot be used
- No smoking allowed inside the house. If you smoke on the deck, please put out your butts properly; do not throw them on the deck, grass, gravel or fire pit area; place them in the actual fire pit where you burn the fire or the closed area where you have the fire or take them to the garbage after making sure they are out
- All linens and bath items should be brought down to the main laundry room located in the main bathroom
- The kitchen is well equipped but you may want to bring extra utensils depending on how you cook; the coffee maker is new and filters are in one of the cabinets and there is a dishwasher
- Please do all your dishes and put them back where you found them
- Feel free to move chairs around as you need it or some of the furniture to accommodate your group however please put everything back the way you found it and be careful not to scratch the floors.
-Wifi password is on bulletin board by the fridge.
-Router is in the living room on floor beside the smart tv.
-Use the wifi in the living room close to the router on your device.
-You have access to Netflix and YouTube on the smart tv directly.
- There is an hdmi cord and vga cord if you would like to stream live TV from your computer- you have the highest bandwidth available great for streaming.
-Please place all garbage in the anointed bins in the garage.
- Please lock and close all windows and doors before leaving.
-Thanks and enjoy this historic gem.Get the full listing »